Top 10 Languages Used on the Internet
The "World Wide Web" is used by apporximately 2 BILLION people throughout the world. That's why many companies are anxious to translate their website into additional languages. Instead of having an audience of millions, your product or service could be available to literally billions of people in dozens of different countries. There are over 6,700 languages in the world today, but obviously some languages are more popular than others.
Here are the Top 10 Languages Used on the Internet:
- English - 536 Million Users
- Chinese - 445 Million Users
- Spanish - 153 Million Users
- Japanese - 99 Million Users
- Portuguese - 83 Million Users
- German - 75 Million Users
- Arabic - 65 Million Users
- French - 60 Million Users
- Russian - 60 Million Users
- Korean - 39 Million Users
Here are a few other stats about the use of the internet throughout the world. If you are considering website translation, some of these might be interesting for you:
- All of the other languages make up 351 million users worldwide.
- The most connected languages are German and Japanese with almost 80% of people online.
- Only 18% of the Arabic population has access to the internet.
- In the United States, 77% of the residents online.
- In Greenland, 90% of the residents have access to the internet.
- Outside of North America, only 26% of the population is online.
All stats are from www.internetworldstats.com